Kitchen 101: Floors

Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Soooooo busy!!! That's how I feel and I feel bad I haven't blogged lately! Seth and his Dad have been a POWER house team in tackling the kitchen. (our first project since weather is preventing roofers to get started and windows) They ripped up the part of the floors that we found rot and water damage in and replaced/secured the beams, poles and joists. We hauled out so much wood and debris that literally smelled like a lake laced with mildew? Good mental image right? Masks? Check.



But- you can no longer see down to the basement from the kitchen and that is a relief! After laying the new sub floor we are ready for new hardwoods folks- which were just delivered today! Luckily, the floors are mostly in excellent shape for a house that hasn't been lived in for over a decade AND being original to the home so uhhh only circa 1850! We only have 3 rooms that need floor re-finishing (master, master closet and office upstairs) the rest of the floors are beautiful. Kitchen however, was a gut job. The main thing I've learned so far: Never use vinyl. Just don't do it- it's not good for anyone and I will put nails in my eyes before I ever rip it all up by hand again. The smell? Worth it alone to not use vinyl. I smelled like a hose/plastic blow-up toy for 2 days ya'll! haha Anyway, cabinets have also been sanded and are ready to be primed/painted once it warms up later in the week. Conclusion? Kitchen is moving right along! (Oh and appliances? Paid for and waiting to be delivered! woot woot!)

Oh Oh Oh... and we now have water for toilets ladies & gentlemen. You can assume what we've been doing in the meantime.... (hahaha roughing it) But let's be honest- I'm still mostly staying with my parents :)




Look at my HGTV man go!

Straight to the basement


TA-DA Ready for new hardwoods!
New floor is in!



And now on to the kitchen bathroom (where my toile wallpaper is going!!)



 photo signature_zps6045ff3e.png

19 comments:

  1. Your hardwoods are going to look so good! And OMG I love your bathroom door. Creepy, yes, but still really pretty ;)

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh myyyyy gosh! Talk about manual labor....I am so impressed with all that ya'll have accomplished in such a short amount of time! And all I can think is how much you're going to appreciate the finished product because you put all the time and effort into making it your perfect home. I'm seriously so excited to watch the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH That looks like crazyness! I can't wait to see the finished product! I am insanely jealous of your bricks btw So cute!


    Makeover With Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can already tell your house is going to be amazing when it's finished! You guys look straight off HGTV :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you guys are doing an awesome job! So exciting... And exhausting in sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Moving right along! So much work but so work it! It's going to be gorgous! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is impressive! Cannot wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing. So impressed! Glad you are blog- documenting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are killing it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh that is quite the project!! But it will look awesome when its done!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww yay! It looks so good, Jessi! Way to move right along. So excited for y'all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy smokes! You guys deserve your own HGTV show. I can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't believe the progress y'all have made so far. Can't wait to watch it all come together...it's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man such hard work!! I would totally be staying at my parents too girl. It's going to be fabulous in the end for sure though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HGTV for sure! I'm impressed with how much you guys have done so far! The floors will be gorgeous, can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh!! It's going to look fantastic once it's complete!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love watching the progress of y'all's journey. we still miss you though :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh so so so much fun!! Have you been able to find any cool stories about the families that lived in your home in the past? I wonder what little treasures you will find as you continue renovating?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hubby is incredible... that is some serious skills!!!

    ReplyDelete