Thoughts on Thursday: Balance Act

Thursday, June 29, 2017
Hey ya'll! So some of my favorite blog posts have been the 'day in the life..' posts. For some odd reason I always find it purely fascinating to see how others go about their day whether structured or just barely getting by. I especially love seeing the ones with multiple kiddos - whew, ya'll go Mamas! Christina from Carolina Charm just did this recently and I loved it. I only work part time currently so a day in the life post for me would depend on the day - a working day or an off day. I was fortunate enough to spend 21 months at home with Miss A as a stay-at-home Mama and I wouldn't trade that for any amount of money in the world.

                                             
After 21 months, I started to just casually browse job postings. We live in such a small town so there really isn't that many at one given time. However, one day I saw where one of the colleges in our town (2 college town) was hiring for some part time only positions in the Graduate and Professional Studies offices. (I've worked in higher education since graduating so I looked into it) All of a sudden I had an interview and then all of a sudden I was a new working Mama with a flexible part-time schedule. I get to work 2.5 days a week, maybe 3 and still have Thurs-Sun with Miss A at home. It really is the best of both worlds and I am so incredibly thankful I landed this opportunity. My office and the group of supportive women I work with are seriously ah-mazing. I'm pinching myself daily..trust me..

ok so here we go - this will probably be my longest post ever ya'll - whew! 

WORK: Like I said I work Monday, Tuesday and a 1/2 day on Wednesday. Because of this, we have been able to cover Andi's care with family and friends. On Monday my mother-in-law comes to the house and spends the day with her which makes it so easy on me in the evening to just be able to come home. She also does laundry at nap time which is so incredible ya'll (but also sometimes embarrassing haha) On Tuesday I take her out to my Dad's house because since he predominately farms, he moved his schedule around to accommodate a day with Andi (she calls him Afa) and on Wednesday Miss A heads out the door with me by 7:30am and I drop her off at my good friend Erika's house where she gets to spend the day with 3 other girls her age (cue good socialization in an in-home setting) I usually tote her all around with me because hubby works for Norfolk Southern Railroad and unfortunately NEVER has a set schedule. There are however sometimes when he's home and off and I definitely utilize him if they fall on my work days.


MEALS: Ya'll, meal planning is SO IMPORTANT...and with that said, I need to do it (laughing hysterically to myself and shaking head) Hubby always has dinner on the table when he's off and I'm working so we'll eat early on those days around 5:30 or so. Otherwise, I'll have something thawed out and ready to go usually referencing a quick and easy Pinterest meal. Easy cleanup is key, especially if I'm by myself and hubby is gone on an overnight. Andi is so easy and just goes with the flow. She loves everything we eat which makes it so much easier. I am totally not above the occasional chicken nugget meal, spaghetti-os or Kid Cuisine TV dinner - they're lifesavers.

BEDTIME ROUTINE: After dinner we almost always walk the loop around our neighborhood. This is the time where hubs and I get to catch up and decompress while Andi gets stimulation before bed with wildlife, other kids and nature. We love this and have been doing it since we moved to the house a few years ago. Afterwards, Andi has a bath and then has her milk while snuggling and watching a cartoon. Around 7:30 we head upstairs to brush teeth, read books and sing songs and she's in bed usually by 8pm. Then for me its Netflix or DVR and wine time on the couch while hubs browses his phone before we hit the sheets usually by 11pm.

BLOGGING: I was so much better at routine blogging before having Miss A. I started blogging in 2011 as a creative outlet and predominately blogged about new crafts each week. Once we bought our fixer upper historic home back in 2014 I generated a lot of traffic with our weekly home reno updates and home reveals which are all found under the Home Reno tab. I took some time off and then came back shortly after Andi turned a month old. I try to get in at least two posts a week and I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this blogging community. I have friends that I have NEVER met in real life but we have talked, texted, mailed and emailed since about 2013 - that's insane but also incredible! If you're a long time reader of Jessi's Design (formally known as The Thrifty Blonde) then THANK YOU! YOU ARE LOVED!

                             
MARRIAGE: We are terrible at this..we really are. We definitely don't have the rainbows and butterflies type of marriage and need to make more time for each other. Marriage is hard and you have to strive everyday to make it something wonderful. When we do get time off together, we try our best to plan something fun with Andi or go out with Friends. We recently settled into a new church and we are over the moon with the people now in our lives! We facetime often and try to go out at least a few times a month. This last month we've been able to attend tons of fun local events together and its been fantastic! Hubby works so hard to provide for our family and unfortunately that means he's away from us a lot. I'm so thankful for him and cannot believe we're coming up on our 4th wedding anniversary in September!



FRIENDS & FAMILY: This one is luckily easy for us because we live smack-dab in the middle of both sets of parents and family. We're about 25 minutes or so in either direction from them both and that has always been a mega plus. We've always been big time family people and both of us knew we never really wanted to be too far away from family. This is also great for Miss A to have her grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles so close to her and in her daily life. My college friends and I are semi spread out but we talk weekly (if not daily) and have annual girls trips to keep us all connected. Locally, I'm surrounded by fabulous women with monthly girls nights and supper-clubs and it is simply perfect! With Andi doing swim lessons and starting preK next Fall, I'm looking forward to meeting other Moms in the area that will be sending their kiddos there as well. Girl time is good for the soul!





 photo signature_zpsdnzukjhu.png

No comments:

Post a Comment