Travel List: OBX Edition

Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Hey ya'll! With summer upon us, I thought I'd do a spotlight on one of my favorite vacay locations.  I absolutely despise summer, sweating, humidity and heat (diva I know but give me Fall or give me death) unless my hiney is planted on a beach..preferably in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We've been coming to the OBX since I was a little girl and I absolutely adore it. Of course its grown and become such a tourist hotspot but I even love it in the winter. I lived there for two summers as well - one during college and one after and they were my absolute favorite summers.

While my favorite part of the OBX is the northern pars of Southern Shores and Duck, we also stay on the Southern end at Nags Head. We always do a week in Nags Head with my in-laws and the Otey clan an then Mama and I do a week in the northern part. Two weeks a year in the OBX? I'll take it! Hubs and I often look at real estate there just because we always joke that we could totally live there year round! Anyway, with our trips quickly approaching, here is a list of my list of must-sees and must-eats in the OBX.


#1 - I adore Duck, NC and the Sanderling Resort and Spa and its restaurant on the sound Kimball's Kitchen (formerly known as the Left Bank) is my absolute fav. Its all more on the pricey side but if you're looking for a pampering, fine dining getaway then this is it! (I worked here for both summers I lived in the OBX) The tasting menu with its seasonal local flare is ah-mazing and the French 75 is my long-time fav cocktail there!

The Sanderling Resort, Duck NC
at Kimballs Kitchen on the blonde onyx bar 

As for other restaurants in Duck and Southern Shores - these are a must:

The Blue Point (excellent martinis)
Aqua (wonderful dishes and outdoor sunsets - spent my bachelorette here!)
Tommy's Market (best wine selection and made to order lunch! Never leave without their steak seasoning!)
Steamers  (Such a fun place with delicious seafood bisque)
Sunset Bar & Grille (Karaoke and fun drink specials with take home cups!)

Also shop the never-ending shops at Scarborough Fair shopping village and all the shops on the soundside as well that are overlooking the water. (there's a Lilly signature store there as well!)


Family friendly favorites:

The wild horses in Corolla + drive on beaches
The Lighthouses
Dolphin watch Cruises
The Lost Colony Play
Kitty Hawk Kites/Sports Rentals 
Jockey's Ridge State Park
Wright Brothers Memorial 
Roanoke Island Aquarium

Now moving on down to Nags Head and the more southern parts - here is a list of the restaurants we always make sure to visit. And lets not forget about the Tanger Outlets - ALWAYS a rainy day must!

Miller's Waterfront
Tale of the Whale
The Brewing Station (excellent food and nightlife)
Basnight's Lone Cedar (great for big families!)
Tortugas Lie (was on TV!)
Rundown Cafe  (fun cajun flare)
Black Pelican (killer greek salad)
Barefoot Bernies  (get the MD crab dip!)
High cotton BBQ (best value and always love their fried okra)

Tale of the Whale, Nags Head

Basnights Lone Cedar, Nags Head
Tanger Outlets 




 photo signature_zpsdnzukjhu.png

No comments:

Post a Comment