WHW

Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Hey ya'll and welcome to another What's Hap-'pinning' Wednesday! Join in and link up below with us to let us know what's going on your way! This week has been so much fun and the lower temps have really got me feeling the Fall spirit. We have the windows open at night and by the time we get up in the morning, I basically need socks on! I'm loving it! Last night the Hubs and I took Andi to the Five County Fair for the first time and she was over the moon. I've been going since I was about 12 years old and although it is super small, it is so much fun for the kiddos. They have a petting zoo, livestock entries, baking competitions, pageants and tons of rides and food. Andi ran around, charming any and everyone, in her new cowgirl boots. The petting zoo was definitely her favorite but next year I'm thinking she'll get in on the rides too! There's nothing like a small town and after the fair we drove around seeing all the preparations our little town is making for the big vice presidential debate that is being held here next week - pretty exciting huh?







 Also, I want to share another quick and easy week night dinner time recipe we tried earlier in the week that ended up being a HUGE hit with Miss Andi as well! I made a chicken and broccoli quinoa dish with cheddar cheese (you could always do a raw goats milk cheese if you need to health it up more). Anyway, below is the recipe I followed basically word for word and it turned out to be a super yummy hit in my household. Let me know if ya'll have any other good quinoa recipes that I need to try because I'm open to anything!

  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
  • 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can low sodium-chicken broth (1 3/4 cup)
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1/4 tsp dry thyme
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
  • 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar (1 cup)
Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute 2 minutes, then add chicken and cook 2 1/2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer (chicken should be cooked on outsides but inside doesn't need to be fully cooked through at this point because it will boil and simmer). Add in broth, quinoa and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a full boil then cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 12 minutes. Then quickly lift lid, sprinkle broccoli over top, recover and simmer about 8 minutes longer or until quinoa and broccoli have cooked through (it may have a little broth in the bottom still at this point and you can carefully drain it off if desired, just don't pour everything down the drain!). Sprinkle cheese over top, cover and heat 1 - 2 minute until cheese has melted.

The only photo I snapped before it was devoured



 photo signature_zpsdnzukjhu.png

No comments:

Post a Comment